Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Metaphor

My youth is a lot like a hangnail, in that I'm busy composing a life throughout the day, with dog tasks and running tasks and grocery tasks and wife tasks, and I look down and there it is, swelling slightly the more I notice it. Hello there, nice pink hangnail, I'll say, you don't have a place on my body, you are for children who don't yet moisturize. Adults presumably transcend these things. So I'll ignore if for awhile and snag it on my clothes or bang it on a door, and there, there it grows.

Then comes hangnail concentration: I will usurp you with my will, hangnail. Well, not really my will, that's only romantic flourish, my very own mounting of the bardic steed. No, I'll just rip you off with my other two-bit claw nails--you are so tiny it will be easy to extricate you. A shame, really, how weak you can't help but be.

But with each tiny white tear it grows and bleeds a bit and now a mound of flesh, this hand is not my hand. Puffy nail, as if I could stuff you. Loaded ring finger, how crowned you are, as if you could be loved.

Later the pinkish torn flesh will turn dark in anger--this is not how you take care of a hangnail, says the hangnail. You were the one who said moisturizer, you were the one who claimed adult.

No solid or liquid left for me to punish out, the hangnail, flat and dark, almost resembles an eye. A single dilated pupil looking back into my own. It doesn't need to say I told you so, or that violence isn't the way to go. Instead the pain blinks through it and I just stare back from inside my human, proper body. Winning through sheer magnitude is no victory at all. Hangnail remains, unvanquished, and if I were to grope for wine or Tolstoy, the hangnail knows it'd be useless--I'd still feel it and know its presence and nothing else.

Yes, my youth is a little like a hangnail.

2 comments:

  1. Okay, so as I type poorly, because I have, no, not a hangnail, but a badly cut finger that won't heal because it is in a precarious place (don't ask how I cut it, badly) so, as I type poorly I am cracking up - this one blog I could relate to as much as any - (do you mind hypens??) I am indeed a hangnail sister of yours. WHy I keep treating them the same way I'll never know, but I also don't know yet why I can't shave my legs without a oopsies.

    Have a great thanksgiving

    g

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving lovely adult Brooke! I love this metaphor--it is so complex that I am reading it in two ways...that your "youth"--those memories of being 12--grows like a hurting haunting hangnail that is inescapable, but I also see "youth" as your spirit, a spirit you are trying to fight by being adult and doing those wifely, doggy, teacherly tasks. Sometimes it feels like we're wasting our youth and trying to grow up too fast?

    I will keep thinking about this because at our ages, this is all I can think about. Am I old? Am I young? What is proper attire for me? What is proper behavior for me? Why do I still think like I'm 15 when my 32-year-old self rebels? (Notice it is the 32-year-old who rebels against the prominent 15-year-old). I will also be thinking of you, cooking your very first grown-up Thanksgiving dinner for your family of 2, hoping that you enjoy the day with a youthful spirit. Love you.

    ReplyDelete