Tuesday, November 3, 2009

November Plans

November is the cruelest month, except that when I stepped outside today a crisp 70 degrees touched my face and hair, a few small pieces tied lightly in the back. Today I got to wear my long skirt and my long hair, and I walked through campus with books on my hip, dreaming myself a modern-day Joe from Little Women.

Today itself was so buggy I found poetry. For this blog I will try to place some of my pretty findings here. Fingers crossed, I will be self-deprecating in a charming way and you will continue to like me.

Here are some new November victories to smile about:
  • Next semester's impossible schedule was changed and now I'll get to commute with Brock, but more importantly will teach EN 206, which means I'm out of ArcaneLand of wizardry and homoerotic masculinity (I'm talking to you, Beowulf and Lancelot). Keats, I can't wait to kiss you.
  • Sub-note to above bullet: My spring schedule will require me to be on campus every day, but I've decided to join the rec center as an addition to Snap to ensure I'm totally fit and happy.
  • Thanks to the generousness of my birthday benefactors, we're pretty much caught up on money this month which means it's movie splurge time again. I'm voting for the new animated Wes Andersen. Talking Foxes! Voice of Meryl Streep!
  • By the People comes on HBO tonight, which I'm sure will make me inspired and lachyrmal (like I was just a short year ago after the election!)
  • Both yesterday and today I ran six miles, and that totals twelve and as you can see I'm already becoming totally fit. Really, I barely even finished Jason's famous pecan pie this morning.
  • Everyone I ran into today elicited a positively natural reaction from me. Never once seethed under my skin.
  • Brit lit students seemed to do well on the test, proving I'm not just an inspiring but fair teacher.
  • Yankees are having a good enough series to keep my mom and Lala happy but not so good as to make Brock feel like putting a gun to his head.
  • NaNoWriMo is a thing of the past as far as I'm concerned because of this recent revelation: I transcend both quantity and quality.
  • I've come up with a list of blog topics for my daily entry this month (hell yes, I'm doing it!) and they are listed as follows:
  1. Frenemies--why we can't let go those we loathe the most, and why the answer lies inside the man in the mirror, which in this case would be me
  2. Who's the Best--the insipidness of poetry readings, the way everyone is always waiting her turn, always measuring her poetic superiority, and how it's never inspirational and how I hate many poets including the ones I love most
  3. Hospital Scenes starring me and mom and Lala--how between mom's pragmatism and my romanticism we'll keep Lala alive forever
  4. Tarot Reading featuring Turd
  5. The Anecdote of the Insurance Company (I'll bet you can't guess the villain)
  6. Problem with Underdogs--I have one, big time, because I might just be such a callow liberal that I'm incapable of being any kind of sports fan as evidenced last night when the Falcons head coach nearly started crying at halftime and I thought, "Oh, the Saints are ahead by so much, why can't we tack on a tiny little safety or field goal to make him feel better?" Yeah, I really thought this, and about the-fucking-Falcons. Now what, am I going to start stuffing votes for that wacko Doug damned Hoffman in New York's 23 District, who's supported only by Palin's Facebook page? I don't think so. But that's what this skewed underdog mentality suggests.
November isn't cruel at all. That was a derivative flourish which I'm not to abashed to employ at the moment, in such a state of mind and time.

No comments:

Post a Comment